Last updated Tuesday March 10, 2020
1. Acceptance. Valeron Strength Films, a Division of Illinois Tool Works Inc. is herein referred to as Seller and the customer purchasing products (“Products”) or services (“Services”) is herein referred to as “Purchaser.” These terms and conditions of sale (“Terms”), any Seller quotation, acknowledgment or invoice and all documents incorporated by specific reference herein or therein (“Seller Documents” and together with these Terms, the “Agreement”), constitute the complete terms governing the sale of Products and Services. SELLER HEREBY REJECTS ANY ADDITIONAL OR DIFFERENT TERMS OR CONDITIONS PROPOSED BY PURCHASER, WHETHER OR NOT CONTAINED IN ANY OF PURCHASER’S BUSINESS FORMS OR IN PURCHASER’S WEBSITE, AND SUCH ADDITIONAL OR DIFFERENT TERMS WILL BE OF NO EFFECT. No site usage agreement or any other click through agreement on a website will have any binding effect whether or not Seller clicks on an “ok,” “I accept,” or similar acknowledgment. Commencement of any work by Seller or Purchaser's acceptance of delivery of the Products or Services will manifest Purchaser's assent to theAgreement. Additional or different terms applicable to a particular sale may be specified in the body of a Seller Document or agreed to in writing by the parties. In the event of a conflict, the following order of precedence will apply: (a) terms agreed to in writing and executed by an authorized officer of Seller; (b) Seller Document terms; (c) these Terms.
2. Quotations. Quotations are only valid in writing and for 30 days from the date of the quotation unless otherwise notified. All quotations by Seller are subject to change or withdrawal without prior notice to Purchaser unless otherwise specifically stated in the quotation. Quotations are made subject to approval by Seller of Purchaser’s credit. Seller shall have no obligation to sell or deliver Products or Services covered by Seller’s quotation unless and until Seller issues an order acknowledgement form or upon the shipment of Products or commencement of Services by Seller.
3. Prices. Prices are in U.S. Dollars and are subject to change without notice. If a raw material, component, or service provider raises its prices, or imposes a surcharge on Seller, Seller reserves the right to pass through the price increase or surcharge to Purchaser and Purchaser agrees to accept such price increase or surcharge for the term of such price increase or surcharge or the termination of the contract to which these terms and conditions apply. Time of payment is of the essence.All orders are accepted subject to Seller’s price in effect at time of shipment.
4. Terms of Payment. The inspection rights granted to Purchaser will not affect or alter the payment terms or the timing of Purchaser’s payment obligations. Under no circumstances will Purchaser have a right of set-off. Unless otherwise expressly agreed to by Seller in writing, terms of payment are 30 days net from the date of Seller’s invoice. No discount shall be allowed on transportation charges. Purchaser agrees to pay interest on overdue invoices at the rate of 1.5% per month, but not higher than the highest rate permitted by law. If Purchaser fails to make any payment as required, Purchaser agrees to indemnify Seller for all costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney fees, court costs, and associated expenses incurred by Seller. Purchaser shall pay to Seller, in addition to the purchase price, the amount of all fees, duties, licenses, tariffs, and all sales, use, privilege, occupation, excise, or other taxes, federal, state, local or foreign, which Seller is required to pay or collect in connection with the Products or Services sold to Purchaser. Failure by the Seller to collect any such fees or taxes shall not affect Purchaser’s obligations hereunder and Purchaser shall fully defend, indemnify and hold harmless Seller with respect to such tax obligations.
5. Credit Approval. All shipments to be made hereunder shall at all times be subject to the approval of Seller’s credit department. Seller may invoice Purchaser and recover for each shipment made pursuant to this Agreement as a separate transaction without regard to any other order or agreement with Seller, or if, in Seller’s sole judgment, the financial responsibility of Purchaser is or becomes unsatisfactory, then Seller may, at its option and without prejudice to any of its other remedies, (a) defer or decline to make any shipments hereunder except upon receipt of satisfactory security or cash payments in advance, and / or (b) terminate all Purchase Orders of Purchaser.
6. Cancellation. Seller may cancel any purchase order or release thereunder, or terminate any agreement relating to the purchase of Seller’s Products or Services upon reasonable prior written notice to Purchaser. Once Seller has either accepted a Purchase Order or has begun taking actions with respect to such Purchase Order, such Purchase Order cannot be canceled, terminated or modified by Purchaser in whole or in part except with Seller’s consent in writing and then only upon terms and conditions to be agreed upon which shall include protection of Seller against all losses. Purchaser shall indemnify Seller for any costs incurred, including material and labor costs, in connection with any Purchase Order that Purchaser desires to cancel, terminate or modify.
7. Standing Orders. Advance notice of at least 30 days must be received by Seller regarding any change in quantity, color or specifications in the case of advance orders.
8. Inspection / Non – Conforming Shipments. Seller grants Purchaser the right to inspect Products for a period of fifteen (15) business days immediately following delivery (“Inspection Period”). Purchaser must notify Seller of anyProducts that do not conform to the terms applicable to their sale within the inspection period, and afford Seller a reasonable opportunity to inspect such Products and cure any nonconformity. If Purchaser fails to provide Seller with notice of nonconformity within the Inspection Period, Purchaser shall be deemed to have accepted the Products. Purchaser will have no right to return any Product without Seller’s prior written authorization. Any return authorized by Seller must be made in accordance with Seller’s return policies then in effect and must be accompanied by a Returned GoodsAuthorization (“RGA”) from Seller. Purchaser will be responsible for all costs and expenses associated with any returns of Products and will bear the risk of loss or damage of such Products, unless Seller agrees otherwise in writing or determines that the Products do not conform to the applicable terms of sale. Seller, in its sole discretion may reject any return of Product not approved by Seller in accordance with this paragraph or otherwise not returned in accordance withSeller’s then current-return policies.
9. Title / Risk of Loss / Delivery. Unless other arrangements are made in writing, Seller anticipates use of common carriers for transport of Products. Unless specifically otherwise provided in Seller’s invoice, the carrier, and not Seller, will bill for freight rates and other transportation charges. Such payments are solely the responsibility of the Purchaser, to be paid directly by the Purchaser to the carrier. All Products shall be shipped F.O.B. Seller’s plant, and shall become the property of Purchaser upon delivery to the carrier. Purchaser shall assume all risk and liability for loss, damage, or destruction, as well as the results of any use or misuse by third parties who may acquire or use the Products illicitly after the delivery to the carrier. Unless mutually agreed upon, shipping dates are approximate and are based upon prompt receipt of all necessary information. Seller reserves the right to ship items in a single or multiple shipments, and method of packaging shall be made at Seller’s choice.
10. Damage. Purchaser shall notify Seller and the delivering carrier within fifteen (15) business days from date of receipt of Products, of any damage or shortage, and afford Seller a reasonable opportunity to inspect the Products. Any loss occasioned by damage or shrinkage in transit will be for Purchaser’s account and claims for such loss shall be made solely against the carrier.
11. Quantities. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, any variation in quantities shipped over or under the quantities ordered (not to exceed 10% with respect to stock orders or 20% with respect to custom orders (as noted on an order acknowledgment)) shall constitute compliance with Purchaser’s Order and the stated price per item will apply.
12. Limited Warranty. SELLER WARRANTS ONLY THAT THE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES SOLD HERE UNDER (A) WILL CONFORM TO THE DESCRIPTION, IF ANY, PROVIDED IN WRITING TO PURCHASER, (B) WILL BE CONVEYED FREE AND CLEAR OF ANY LIEN, SECURITY INTEREST OR ENCUMBRANCE CREATED BY SELLER OR ANY PARTY CLAIMING BY, THROUGH OR UNDER SELLER,AND (C) WILL BE FREE FROM SUBSTANTIAL DEFECTS IN MATERIAL AND WORKMANSHIP UNDER NORMAL USE GIVEN PROPER INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE FOR A PERIOD OF ONE (1) YEAR FROM THE DATE OF DELIVERY TO THE CARRIER. SELLER SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT EITHER TO REPLACE OR REPAIR ANY DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS, TO REFUND THE PURCHASE PRICE UPON RETURN OFTHE PRODUCTS OR TO GRANT A REASONABLE ALLOWANCE ON ACCOUNT OF SUCH DEFECTS, AND SELLER’S LIABILITY AND PURCHASER’S EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS SHALL BE LIMITED SOLELY TO REPLACEMENT, REPAIR, REFUND OR ALLOWANCE AS SELLER MAY ELECT. SELLER SHALL BE GIVEN A REASONABLE OPPORTUNITY TO INVESTIGATE ALL CLAIMS AND NO PRODUCTS SHALL BE RETURNED TO SELLER UNTIL AFTER INSPECTION AND APPROVAL BY SELLER AND RECEIPT BY PURCHASER OF AN RGA.
13. Disclaimer of Further Warranties. EXCEPT AS SET FORTH ABOVE, SELLER MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING NO WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE) WITH RESPECT TO ITS PRODUCTS OR SERVICES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, FOR RESULTS OBTAINED BY COATING, LAMINATION AND CONVERSION OR ALTERATION OF PRODUCT. BEFORE USING, PURCHASER SHALL DETERMINE THE SUITABILITY OF THE PRODUCT FOR ITS INTENDED USE, AND PURCHASER ASSUMES ALL RISK AND LIABILITY WHATSOEVER IN CONNECTION THEREWITH. PURCHASER ASSUMES ALL RISK AND LIABILITY FOR SUCH RESULTS FROM COATING, LAMINATION AND CONVERSION OR ALTERATION OF PRODUCT EITHER SINGLY OR IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER PRODUCTS.
14. Limitation of Liability and Remedies. SELLER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE, AND PURCHASER WAIVES ALL CLAIMS AGAINST SELLER, FOR INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, DOWN TIME, LOST PROFITS OR COMMERCIAL LOSSES, WHETHER OR NOT BASED UPON SELLER’S NEGLIGENCE OR BREACH OF WARRANTY OR STRICT LIABILITY IN TORT OR ANY OTHER CAUSE OF ACTION. SELLER WILL NOT BE LIABLE TO PURCHASER FOR ANY LOSS, DAMAGE, OR INJURY TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY RESULTING FROM THE HANDLING, STORAGE, TRANSPORTATION, RESALE,OR USE OF ITS PRODUCTS IN MANUFACTURING PROCESSES, OR IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER SUBSTANCES, OR OTHERWISE. IN NO EVENT WILL SELLER’S LIABILITY UNDER THIS AGREEMENT OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SALE OF PRODUCTS BY SELLER EXCEED THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE SPECIFIC PRODUCTS OR SERVICES AS TO WHICH THE CLAIM IS MADE NOR WITH RESPECT TO ANY PRODUCT THAT HAS BEEN PROCESSED IN ANY MANNER.
15. Inventory. Except as provided in Sections 8 and 12 hereof, Seller will neither accept return of Product, nor be responsible for its destruction.
16. Technical Data. All physical properties, statements and recommendations are either based on the tests or experience that Seller believes to be reliable, but they are not guaranteed.
17. Product Use. Purchaser is solely responsible for determining whether any Product is fit for a particular purpose and suitable forPurchaser’s method of application. Accordingly, and due to the nature and manner of use of Seller’s Products, Seller is not responsible for the results or consequences of use, misuse or application of its Products by anyone.
18. Tooling / Molds / Dies. Unless otherwise agreed in writing signed by Seller, all material, equipment, facilities, and special tooling,(which term includes but is not limited to tools, jigs, dies, fixtures, molds, patterns, special taps, special gauges, special test equipment, and manufacturing aids and replacements thereof), used in the manufacture of the Products covered by any Purchase Order shall remain the property of Seller. Any material, tooling, or equipment furnished to Seller by Purchaser shall be and remain the personal property of Purchaser with the title to and right of possession remaining in Purchaser.
19. Ownership of Intellectual Property. All drawings, know-how, designs, specifications, inventions, devices, developments, processes, copyrights and other information or Intellectual Property disclosed or otherwise provided to Purchaser by Seller and all rights therein (collectively, “Intellectual Property”) will remain the property of Seller and will be kept confidential byPurchaser in accordance with these terms and conditions. Purchaser shall have no claim to, nor ownership interest in, anyIntellectual Property and such information, in whatever form and any copies thereof, shall be promptly returned to Seller upon written request from Seller. Purchaser acknowledges that no license or rights of any sort are granted to Purchaser here under in respect of any Intellectual Property, other than the limited right to use the Seller’s proprietary Products purchased fromSeller.
20. Use of Trademarks and Trade Names. Purchaser shall not use, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, Seller’s name, or any other trademark or trade name that is now or may hereafter be owned by Seller or any affiliate of Seller (collectively the“Trademarks”), as part of Purchaser’s corporate or business name, or in any way in connection with Purchaser’s business, except in a manner and to the extent authorized herein or otherwise approved by Seller in writing. Purchaser hereby acknowledges Seller’s ownership of the Trademarks and the goodwill associated therewith. Purchaser shall not infringe upon, harm or contest the validity of any Trademarks. Purchaser shall be entitled to use the Trademarks only in connection with the promotion or sale of the Products pursuant to the terms of the Agreement. Purchaser shall reproduce the Trademarks exactly as specified by Seller. Purchaser shall not use the Trademarks in combination with any other trademarks or names. Purchaser agrees that it will not register or attempt to register any Trademark or any colorable imitation thereof (including any nonEnglish language variation thereof), or use such Trademarks for any products or for any purposes other than those set forth in the Agreement. Purchaser shall not at any time during or after termination of the Agreement use in its business any other trademark that is similar to or in any way resembles the Trademarks so as to be likely to cause deception or confusion with theTrademarks. Purchaser shall provide reasonable cooperation to Seller with respect to any efforts of Seller to protect, defend or enforce its rights to the Trademarks. Should Purchaser cease being an authorized customer of Seller for any reason,Purchaser shall immediately discontinue any formerly permitted use of Seller’s name or the Trademarks.
21. Confidential Information. All information furnished or made available by Seller to Purchaser in connection with the subject matter of this Agreement or of Purchaser’s Purchase Order shall be held in confidence by the Purchaser. Purchaser agrees not to use such information or disclose such information to others without Seller’s prior written consent. The obligations in this paragraph will not apply to any information which (a) at the time of disclosure was or thereafter becomes, generally available to the public by publication or otherwise through no breach by the Purchaser of any obligation herein, (b) the Purchaser can show by written records was in the Purchaser’s possession prior to disclosure by Seller, or (c) is legally made available to the Purchaser by or through a third party having no direct or indirect confidentiality obligation to Seller with respect to such information.
22. Audit. Unless agreed to in writing by an officer of Seller, neither Purchaser nor any Purchaser representative, may examine or audit Seller’s cost accounts, books or records of any kind or any matter, or any other data that Seller, in its sole discretion, considers confidential or proprietary.
23. Infringement and Indemnification. (a) Except as set forth below, Seller agrees to defend, indemnify and hold the Purchaser harmless against any claims, costs, damages, liability and expenses resulting from actual patent, trademark, or copyright infringement, misappropriation of confidential information, or violation of any other Intellectual Property right, domestic or foreign, that may arise from the sale of Product that is owned by Seller and that pertains to the subject matter of this Agreement (provided that Product is not modified in any way or combined with any other part or product not supplied by Seller by the Purchaser or any other party, and that the Product is used in the manner intended by Seller). If a suit or claim results in any injunction or any other order that would prevent Seller from supplying any part or Product falling under this Agreement, or if the result of such a suit or claim would, in the reasonable opinion of Seller, otherwise cause Seller to be unable to supply such parts or Products, Seller shall have the right, at its option, if it so chooses, to do one or more of the following: (i) secure an appropriate license to permit Seller to continue supplying said parts or Products to Purchaser; (ii) modify the appropriate part or Product so that it becomes non-infringing;(iii) replace the appropriate part or Product with a non-infringing but practically equivalent part or Product; or (iv) if the Seller cannot reasonably accomplish the actions specified in subparagraphs (i) – (iii), then in Seller’s sole discretion, Seller may discontinue selling the part or Product without any further liability to Purchaser. (b) Purchaser agrees to defend, indemnify and hold Seller harmless against any claims, costs, damages, liability and expenses resulting from actual or alleged patent, trademark, or copyright infringement, misappropriation of confidential information, or violation of any other Intellectual Property right, domestic or foreign, that may arise from the making, using or selling of any part or Product or using any process that is owned by the Purchaser or is designed or specified by the Purchaser and that pertains to the subject matter of this Agreement. (c) If any claim is made by a third party on the basis of which indemnification may be sought under this paragraph, the party entitled to indemnification (the“Indemnified Party”) shall give written notice of such claim to the party liable for such indemnification (the “Indemnifying Party”)immediately after the Indemnified Party has actual notice of such claim. The Indemnifying Party shall have the right to defend and/or settle such claim at its expense, provided that it does so diligently and in good faith. The Indemnified Party shall cooperate with such defense and/or settlement and shall have the right to participate in (but not to control) such defense and/or settlement at its expense. No settlement shall be entered into unless the Indemnified Party shall be released from all liability for such claim.
24. ITW Employees. Seller sales and service employees do not have the training or authority to make legal representations or enter into any agreements or execute any Purchaser documents affecting legal responsibilities or waiving legal rights, including those regarding the transfer of intellectual property rights or related to privacy laws. Any such representations, agreements or documents will not be binding on Seller or such Seller employees.
25. Compliance. Purchaser agrees to comply with all federal, state, local and foreign rules, regulations, ordinances and laws applicable to Purchaser’s obligations hereunder and Purchaser’s use of the Products and Services, including import/export laws, labor laws and anti-corruption laws.
26. Relationship of the Parties. Nothing in the Agreement or the course of dealing of the parties may be construed to constitute the parties hereto as partners, joint venturers or as agents for one another or as authorizing either party to obligate the other in any manner.
27. Force Majeure. Seller will not be responsible for failure to perform in a timely manner under the Agreement when its failure results from events beyond its reasonable control (an event of “Force Majeure”), including acts of God, epidemics, acts of war whether declared or undeclared, blockades, labor disputes (whether of Seller’s employees or the employees of others), raw material shortages and material increases in costs of raw materials. In the event of Force Majeure, the time for performance will extend for such time as reasonably necessary to enable Seller to perform.
28. Assignment and Delegation. No assignment of any rights or interest or delegation of any obligation or duty of Purchaser under these terms and conditions, Seller’s quotation, order acknowledgement, or invoice, or Purchaser’s Purchase Order may be made without the prior written consent of Seller. Any attempted assignment or delegation will be wholly void and totally ineffective for all purposes. Seller may assign the Agreement or otherwise transfer its rights and/or obligations under the Agreement. TheAgreement will inure to the benefit of and be binding upon the parties and their respective permitted successors and assigns.
29. Bankruptcy. If either party becomes insolvent, is unable to pay its debts when due, files for or is the subject of involuntary bankruptcy, has a receiver appointed or has its assets assigned, the other party may cancel any unfulfilled obligations hereunder.
30. Integration Clause. These terms and conditions, together with Seller’s quotation, order acknowledgement and invoice to aPurchase Order accepted by Seller, constitute the entire contract of sale and purchase between Seller and Purchaser with respect to the Products covered by this Agreement, and supersedes any prior agreements, understandings, representations and quotations with respect thereto. No modification hereof shall be of any force or effect unless in writing and signed by the party claiming to be bound thereby.
31. Waiver. No failure of Seller to insist upon strict compliance by Purchaser with these terms and conditions or to exercise any right accruing from any default of Purchaser shall impair Seller’s rights in case Purchaser’s default continues or in case of any subsequent default by Purchaser. Waiver by Seller of any breach by Purchaser of these terms and conditions shall not be construed as a waiver of any other existing or future breach.
32. Limitation of Actions. Notwithstanding any contrary statute of limitations, any cause of action for any alleged breach of these terms and conditions by Seller shall be barred unless commenced by Purchaser within one (1) year from the accrual of such cause or action.
33. Choice of Laws. Any dispute arising out of or related to this Agreement, shall be governed by and construed according to the laws of the State of Illinois and litigated exclusively in a state or federal court located in Cook County, Illinois. The parties hereby agree to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of such courts. The parties agree that the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods will not apply to the Agreement. The parties hereto expressly release and waive any and all rights to a jury trial and consent to have any dispute heard solely by a Court of competent jurisdiction.
34. Severability. If any provision herein shall be held to be unlawful or unenforceable, the remaining provisions herein shall remain in full force and effect.
35. Survival. Any provisions in the Agreement which, by their nature, extend beyond the termination or expiration of any sale ofProducts or Services, will remain in effect until fulfilled.